Mid-Life Crisis Fighter: 1999 Honda Accord LX
Displacement: 2.3 L
Fuel type: gasoline
Transmission: automatic
Curb weight: 0 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0
Frontal area: 0 sq.ft.
Instrumentation:
Description: I bought this from my sister-in-law for $250 on 8/25/2016. She had 41,000 miles fewer than my Civic and seems to drive well. I called Chorizo the car that saves me money (until I blew the head gasket). The Accord had better be at least as reliable, I hardly planned on driving her! (I didn't until I blew the Civic head gasket) The Accord was in much better shape and the physical defects seem easier to fix. With the Civic, I could fix scratches and paint, but it seems like I have better uses for my time and money. With the Accord, less time, less money... and I have a piece of art?
A piece of art that loses money (faster) if I drive her!
She pulled to one side, so I went to get an alignment, and they rotated the front tires (so it pulled to the other side), claimed a bolt was cross-threaded, alleged that a stud broke, and charged me around $100 to not necessarily fix anything.
Almost $200 for a front bumper cover, headlight, wiring, fender, and resonator. The tread came off my tire and damaged all of these components, and also the door. I bought two new tires around then, too.
I replaced the timing belt myself and many related components like hoses and seals for about $250 (unfortunately I pinched the spark plug tube seals).
I replaced the windshield (after being ordered to by the Highway Patrol) 10/2017 and again 03/2019.
I replaced the front brakes and rotors 03/2018
$86 catalytic converter to replace the $110 one (same part number) my brother-in-law installed a few years ago on 10/25/2018.
$20.66 new PCV valve
$12.11 Driver Cowl Top Lid (was missing, allowed leaves into ventilation) 03/2018
$13.31 Alternator bolt. The original managed to break and the belt came loose. 11/13/2018
There was a reckoning from pinching the spark plug tube seals on four consecutive Tuesdays, starting 08-27-2019. I was driving from one job to the other and my car started misfiring so badly that I messaged the family and drove straight to the only mechanic that I trusted. He told me to pull the spark plugs and check them out. They were covered in oil. I replaced the spark plugs and tube seals and cleaned out the oil. I kept having misfires on Tuesday and trying to track them down. The distributor points were corroded and it leaked oil, so I bought a new one for $160.27 on 09-13-2019
The misfires continued and I returned to the mechanic. He said that I needed a new engine, but I needed to move my car immediately. I pointed out that I needed him to do something simple so that my car was drivable. He shouted "I'm not working on your car, you work on your car, but you can't do it here!"
"How do I get my car where I can work on it?"
"Call a tow truck!"
I pushed my car into the street and someone helped me push it into the next parking lot. I had my car running in three minutes and drove home. I kept checking different systems and finally swapped wires from my Civic. I had cleaned and visually inspected them, and tested them with a multimeter. They were indistinguishable from new wires, but I had misfires on three cylinders. My Civic wires had twice as much resistance, but most of the misfires disappeared. I replaced the wires and replace them on my Civic if I ever get her running again.
I caught the edge of my bumper on Mom's retaining wall 11-22-2019, destroyed the resonator, and peeled off the dumper. I fixed the bumper with a soldering iron, plastic from a school folder, and metal mesh. I found a third resonator at a junkyard, but I cannot find how much I paid for it. $40?
The distributor oil ruined the starter, which I replaced for 148.73 on 10/28/2019.
I bought a new intake tube for $17.69 on 09/25/2020.
I bought a new key for $130.65 on 11/13/2020
I have spent $1,149.42 in repairs over almost 57 months for an average of $20.17 per month.
Build Thread: With my continued gas savings I bought this! (1999 Accord LX)
Current Mods: Tires at 40 PSI. Driving my Civic whenever possible.

Planned Mods: Original: Just restoring her. My sister will probably drive the car more than I do.
Realistic: Trying to keep up with repairs.
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 20 mpg(US)
EPA highway 27 mpg(US)
EPA combined 22 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 34.7 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 32.41 mpg(US)
90 days 34.2 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Apr 24, 2022

(Created: 2016-09-01 13:14:27 / Modified: 2022-04-24 16:45:03)