Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gets me excited to start mods on our first Prius - a 2005.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ryanrpm's Tundra - '05 Toyota Tundra Limited, Double Cab, 4x4
90 day: 17.59 mpg (US)

1993 Civic EX 1.6L - '93 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
Yes they are sheetmetal screws. I will have to remove for inspection and oil changes.

Finished the RH Mirror delete last weekened.
I also saw the same mirrors at Walmart and picked up two. BUT, can you tell me where you bought your mirror mounting brackets?

Current mods: Ozone extraction from Distributor cap. O2 sensor wrap. Mudflap reversal. Wiper delete. Side mirrors delete. A/C delete.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Interesting! Thanks from bringing this thread forward.

I'm unhappy with my stock, side mirrors because of the blind spots. So I have no problem with replacing them with interior mirrors that provide better blind-spot and side coverage. Located at the top outside of the windshield, this can work along with my upgraded backup camera, gps and bluetooth unit:

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cavalier of D00M - '05 Pontiac GTO LS2 T56
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)

The New One - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 51.55 mpg (US)

Chick Magnet - '91 Geo Metro 3cyl/5sp
90 day: 48.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidglover View Post
Gets me excited to start mods on our first Prius - a 2005.
me too !!!

but mine is a 2001

I know this is an old thread,
but I'm having a hard time finding info on anyone modding the first gen Prius

1991 Geo Metro 1.0 3/5 base

2010 Prius II (replaced 2001 Tahoe 5.3 V8 April 2014)

1994 F-350 7.3 TurboDiesel (Rollin' Coal)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
In priority order:
  1. 1-1.5kW inverter - emergency power as well as remote power. I've used it with a reciprocating saw to make big tree limbs into something I can drag, carry, and stack after the storms this winter.
  2. GPS+bluetooth - gives you hands free cell phone. The Chinese rear view mirror lost the bluetooth after a year; the GPS map is not upgradable, and; the rear view camera is going marginal and too low. Also, the rear view camera needs to be mounted high, looking down, say top of the rear window. Will use Garmin next time.
  3. beeping backup LED light - I like to give the pedstrians something else to ignore as they step into the path of my backing up car. My lawyers will LOVE IT!
  4. dash cam, front and back, with GPS - mounted using bungee cords to the passenger head rest, it provides empirical data about a trip and my lawyers will LOVE IT!
  5. split water noodle air inlet block - using thin bungee cords at each end, it reduces high-speed drag and shortens warm-up time below 75F. Stows on shelf above traction battery in trunk.
  6. tow bar - to hang the truck nuts and tow the Jon boat or half a ton of hay.
  7. largest diameter front tires - to give a permanent over-drive. Indicated MPG will appear to be off and you'll need to use the GPS for speed but apply the calibration constant at the pump and you'll be pleased.
  8. minimum three transaxle oil changes - to Type WS, dropping the pan, and wiping clean. Reduces wear and friction.
  9. Scangauge II or equivalent - helps to keep the car in the highest fuel efficient regions and diagnostics 'in the field' if you throw a code.
  10. mini-shop jack and jack stand - flat tires happen but it also encourages oil changes.
  11. Fumoto oil valve - makes oil changes easier so less likely to skip.
Bob Wilson
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cavalier of D00M - '05 Pontiac GTO LS2 T56
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)

The New One - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 51.55 mpg (US)

Chick Magnet - '91 Geo Metro 3cyl/5sp
90 day: 48.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
In priority order:
  1. 1-1.5kW inverter - emergency power as well as remote power. I've used it with a reciprocating saw to make big tree limbs into something I can drag, carry, and stack after the storms this winter.
  1. not a bad idea,
    can you give me a link for the right way to do this?
    or do you just use one in the cigarette lighter?

Quote:
  2. GPS+bluetooth - gives you hands free cell phone. The Chinese rear view mirror lost the bluetooth after a year; the GPS map is not upgradable, and; the rear view camera is going marginal and too low. Also, the rear view camera needs to be mounted high, looking down, say top of the rear window. Will use Garmin next time.
  3. I've got no intrest in talking on the phone when I'm driving
    and I prettymuch know where I'm going (at least when I'm commuting)
    so I don't feel I need a GPS

Quote:
  4. beeping backup LED light - I like to give the pedstrians something else to ignore as they step into the path of my backing up car. My lawyers will LOVE IT!
  5. I don't spend much time in reverse (other than backing into my driveway)
    so this isn't something i think I'd use either

Quote:
  6. dash cam, front and back, with GPS - mounted using bungee cords to the passenger head rest, it provides empirical data about a trip and my lawyers will LOVE IT!
  7. in my experience,
    attaching a camera to myself or my vehicle is all around a bad idea
    first of all, Im not sure I wanna document my actions
    and more importantly, it's like wearing an Evel Knievel helmet and cape (somehow it makes me wanna do stuff I shouldnt be doing)

Quote:
  8. split water noodle air inlet block - using thin bungee cords at each end, it reduces high-speed drag and shortens warm-up time below 75F. Stows on shelf above traction battery in trunk.
  9. I have no idea what this is
    can you post a link?

Quote:
  10. tow bar - to hang the truck nuts and tow the Jon boat or half a ton of hay.
  11. I'm not gonna be towing with this thing
    or attaching Truck Nutz

Quote:
  12. largest diameter front tires - to give a permanent over-drive. Indicated MPG will appear to be off and you'll need to use the GPS for speed but apply the calibration constant at the pump and you'll be pleased.
  13. interesting idea
    I wonder how much it would adversly effect me on hills

my commute includes about 5 very large (half mile long and several hundred feet of elivation) hills
    and the car already feels like it's working pretty hard to make it up (altho, i'ts got no problem keeping up with the cruise set at 62

Quote:
  14. minimum three transaxle oil changes - to Type WS, dropping the pan, and wiping clean. Reduces wear and friction.
  15. "3 transmission oil changes"?
    just to flush out the old oil?
    is it really that dirty?

what is "Type WS"?
    is there a weight?

Quote:
  16. Scangauge II or equivalent - helps to keep the car in the highest fuel efficient regions and diagnostics 'in the field' if you throw a code.
  17. I was wondering if this would be useful to me
    the Previous Owner said he had some sort of USB Dongle that I can hook up to my Laptop and scan/clear codes
    I havn't picked it up yet, I've got HPtuners for my GTO (amazing program)

Quote:
  18. mini-shop jack and jack stand - flat tires happen but it also encourages oil changes.
  19. I've got tools, jacks, stands, etc... I do most of my own maintenance

Quote:
  20. Fumoto oil valve - makes oil changes easier so less likely to skip..
  21. I'll have to look this up
    can't imagine how much easier it would be (but I havn't done one yet)

Quote:
Bob Wilson

1991 Geo Metro 1.0 3/5 base

2010 Prius II (replaced 2001 Tahoe 5.3 V8 April 2014)

1994 F-350 7.3 TurboDiesel (Rollin' Coal)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ws transmission fluid is Toyotas fluid, there are few alternatives, some people use valvoline maxlife as a cheaper alternative. Info on it is hard to find too. On Toyota Nation in the gen 5/6 camry thread there is lots of discussion about it. According toToyota its a 'lifetime' fluid. Magic. Why didnt someone make a magic, dosent get dirty or break down fluid years ago?

In Australia the toyota forum for what you get as a V6 camry is full of problems with cars using this fluid because they are 'sealed' units, no dip stick and no recommended service...... ever.

Sorry for rant. I used to rebuild auto boxes at a Holden dealer and at least half died due to fluid problems, too low, too hot from towing, not replaced for far too long...

Reply  Post New Thread