Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Thanks for the info. I found the wiki page on it, and the only trouble should be finding the wires. I've hooked up a pair of driving lights and a tach, so this shouldn't be too hard.

Though it's going to need to wait until I have the funds..

From looking at my bumper, I could pretty easilly make a 5" long air dam, but the trick is going to be getting the coroplast to curl around the corners. I'll probably pre-bend them first, then go pick up some mounting hardware for a few bucks. I'll try testing that after I test switching back to the Fram filter.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You're going tank by tank and testing mods with each tank?

Why not try eliminating some variables and running each mod for more than one tank?

If you get a 5% increase from a mod, with your 22mpg, it's only going to equate to ~1mpg, Mike.
There are so many problems here, the biggest being there is something quite wrong with the car, the driver, and/or the car/driver combo.

You can't "mod" something and expect results if it ain't even working right in the first place.

The a/t Tempo in stock working order should be returning 27-32mpg. Get there and THEN mod otherwise there really is no point in dicking around.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If you have MPFI, you should be able to use the MPGuino.
It works on single injector / throttle body type systems too.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-13-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Couldn't find where it said yes to those, so I didn't want to go ahead and say it would. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Okay, so here's what I'm looking in to:

I already mentioned the air filter. I'm going to test to see if the lower-flowing Fram air filter will help mileage, since that should reduce the amount of fuel the EFI puts in.

I recently replaced the front struts and springs, which seemed to raise the front end an inch. I swapped the stock springs for Moog variable-rate cargo springs for a firmer ride. I'm wondering if I put the old springs back in if it will make it sit back down a little.

The air dam was mentioned before, and I still need to work on making a design and testing it.

My current tires have a treadwear rating of 420, which indicates that they're a softer compound, giving more rolling resistance.

Even with my current performace mods, I'm still just above the EPA's mileage for a stock Tempo (Even in the winter with wind and rain!). This is telling me that my eco mods are helping, but if I sacrafice performance, I can go even further, possibly reaching my 30 MPG goal. I'm hoping to have interchangeable parts for economy and performance (a set of grippy tires on wider rims and LRR on my stock rims, two different air filters) so I can switch between the two as needed. It will be interesting to see what effects on performance and economy each part has. I'll likely do some acceleration, braking, and cornering tests with each set as well as mileage tests.

Update: With rain all last week, and one day of heavy storms (in which I needed to drive faster than normal to keep up with a friend, who was leading me to his place), my tank mileage dropped to a hair over 20 MPG. This week is calling for higher temps and less rain, so we'll see how it goes.

I replaced the K&N filter with the Fram paper filter, and at first start the engine was quitting from the reduced flow- the ECU didn't recalibrate just yet. On the drive to class, I noticed the engine was running slightly warmer and there was a noticeable drop in power (It didn't have the lively acceleration the increased airflow gave). We'll see what effect on economy it has when I use up this tank. I'm low on cash at the moment, so I hope I can squeeze at least a week and a half out of this one.

Last edited by AeroModder; 02-16-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread