Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Astro Grille Block

I am tired of the van never warming up and at best reaching 160 degrees this winter. A grille block is the best way to deal with this as well as maybe even actually helping mileage out a bit. So I made one but I need to be able to take it off so I won't overheat when I have to haul heavy loads. I made it out of vinyl that I sewed the edges over and put grommets on each corner. I have it on there with a bit of rope for now but I will probably use some bungee cords when I get a few more of them that don't have plastic ends so they fit under the hood.

For about 30 minutes worth of work it isn't bad. When I get a better way to hold it down I can get it square over the grille and it will be almost invisible.

I really don't see it helping the mileage much since aerodynamically that thing is a huge square block but it might help a bit. I know the mileage will get better with a warmer engine though.

I also am trying only 20% bio to help the thing run. I guess when the weather stays around 32 degrees bio isn't working out. But if this cover keeps it warmer I might try going a bit more. It has been cold enough I haven't felt like making any bio so does anyone here have experience with just mixing some straight veggie oil in the fuel when it is around 32 degrees average?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread