Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #391 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
throttle plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
There's also a big gain from having the throttle plate open further at a given speed, because it reduces pumping losses from the engine, I'm not sure how to explain that, but this thread has good info on it.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rence-529.html
*Yes,the throttle plate is like a sheet of plywood,flat into the airstream at low throttle settings,with Cd 1.11.Ouch!
*At wide-open-throttle the Otto-cycle engine approaches the volumetric efficiency of a Diesel,lacking only the 10-11% Btu advantage of the Diesel fuel itself.
*Gasoline Direct Injection engines dispense with the throttle altogether,running at WOT just as with a Diesel,doing all the fuel metering with the electronic fuel injection.
*During the era of the 55-mph national speed limit,some car makers (HONDA) designed their carburetor's 2nd barrel to operate at WOT during cruise,with the 3rd barrel for passing and climbing,achieving mileage like today's hybrids.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #392 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*Gasoline Direct Injection engines dispense with the throttle altogether,running at WOT just as with a Diesel,doing all the fuel metering with the electronic fuel injection.
I do not believe that this is the case. Gasoline engines don't tolerate the immense swings of mixture as well as diesels do, so there is more need to restrict the air flow into the combustion chamber than with a diesel.

I'm pretty sure that most GDI engines still have throttles. Some may only be used for warm-up (I think I've read that somewhere) but I am pretty sure that most do control the engine load with a throttle mechanism.

-soD
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #393 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '02 VW Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
I do not believe that this is the case. Gasoline engines don't tolerate the immense swings of mixture as well as diesels do, so there is more need to restrict the air flow into the combustion chamber than with a diesel.

I'm pretty sure that most GDI engines still have throttles. Some may only be used for warm-up (I think I've read that somewhere) but I am pretty sure that most do control the engine load with a throttle mechanism.

-soD
I wondered about this, too, but according to this article aerohead's comment appears to be true, at least for current state-of-the-art GDI engines. The best of all ICE worlds, as it were.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-12-2013)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #394 (permalink)
GTR
EcoModding Lurker

Red VX - '93 Honda Civic VX

Teal VX - '94 Honda Civic VX

Godzilla - '09 Nissan GTR Premium
This was one awesome thread full of great info! Definitely going to use some of it on my VX.

I want to comment on the fact that seems rather unbelievable to me. The story about the plexiglass window flying off at high speed not once, but twice, and absolutely no mention of very real danger everyone else was put in and that for some mods some attention to safety perhaps should be a little higher on the list.

If that window had hit a (motor)cyclist, it could easily kill them. It could cause anyone to veer of the road, swerve, cause accidents, or do serious damage to someone else's car....and I doubt your insurance would pay for it, either.

I'm all for modding and experimenting and going crazy, I'm just flabbergasted nobody said a word about it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTR For This Useful Post:
AbramWagner (05-03-2015), aerohead (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 06:19 AM   #395 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great read. I have learned quite a bit.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:50 AM   #396 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
if had hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
This was one awesome thread full of great info! Definitely going to use some of it on my VX.

I want to comment on the fact that seems rather unbelievable to me. The story about the plexiglass window flying off at high speed not once, but twice, and absolutely no mention of very real danger everyone else was put in and that for some mods some attention to safety perhaps should be a little higher on the list.

If that window had hit a (motor)cyclist, it could easily kill them. It could cause anyone to veer of the road, swerve, cause accidents, or do serious damage to someone else's car....and I doubt your insurance would pay for it, either.

I'm all for modding and experimenting and going crazy, I'm just flabbergasted nobody said a word about it?
This is a very late response, however, I wanted to point out that, even NASCAR required Chrysler Corporation to install safety lanyards on the rear wing of their Dodge Charger Daytona in order to qualify for competition.
Kinda like safety tethers on modern surfboards. And having been skegged in the head as a teenager, it's probably a really good idea.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #397 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I have a VW Golf wing that has an internal lanyard.

More to the point, the Charger got braces to keep the window from popping off.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/in...topic=132072.0

Reply  Post New Thread